Clearwater Camp for Girls, located in the beautiful Northwoods of Wisconsin on the shores of Tomahawk Lake, seeks a Camp Director who kindles kindness, recognizes and values respect, and builds an environment where unconditional love flourishes. If you believe in fostering courage, confidence, compassion and community – the four points on the Clearwater compass – and know that a wilderness sleep-away camp provides a unique opportunity for campers and staff to develop into tomorrow’s leaders, this may be the job for you.
The Camp Director position is a full-time year-round senior leadership role that reports to the president of the Board of Directors. The Board is actively involved in strategic and operational decision-making and works closely with the Camp Director. Clearwater is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization governed by its Board of Directors.
The position requires residence in on-site housing from the end of May through the end of the camp season. While residence during the off-camp season is a matter of personal choice, some travel may be required during the months camp is not in session. The Camp Director is responsible for running the day-to-day operations of the camp.
- Recruiting, hiring, training, managing, mentoring, and coaching all summer staff
- Fostering an inclusive environment that is welcoming to all
- Maintaining the highest standards for physical safety and mental health wellbeing
- Managing risk in accordance with ACA standards and practices
- Managing daily activities in partnership with summer staff
- Overseeing and engaging in all camp programming and logistics
- Modeling Clearwater’s mission, vision and values
- Conducting and overseeing communication with parents, caretakers and guardians
- Stewarding Clearwater’s traditions, philosophies and history
- Partnering with the Board of Directors and participating on Board committees
- Collaborating with full time year-round administrative and operations staff
- Recruiting campers and serving as an ambassador for Clearwater
- Helping to formulate and advance Clearwater’s strategic goals
- Working alongside the Board to leverage the strength of Clearwater’s traditions to build inclusive and sustainable programs into the future
- Building mutually beneficial relationships with camp industry partners and the local community
Desired Skills & Attributes
- Displays strong leadership skills and is also an accomplished team player
- Builds community and trust
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is proactive and organized, innovative, flexible, a self-starter
- Seeks constructive feedback for improvement and is able to provide constructive feedback to staff
- Is a continuous learner who seeks knowledge and information on issues such as social-emotional learning, youth development, gender identity and mental health
- Working knowledge of camp operations
- An undergraduate degree or six years of relevant experience
- Work experience that reflects commitment to educating and developing children
- Proven ability to manage and motivate people of all ages
Compensation commensurate with experience.
How To Apply
Thank you so much for your interest in Clearwater Camp for Girls! We’re very happy that you’ve taken the time to reach out to us to learn more about the Camp Director role and the application process for this position.
We look forward to answering your questions not only about our employment opportunity but also about Clearwater Camp, a unique and beautiful place in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
- Please send your resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com.
- In your letter, please address the following questions: What interests you about this position? In what ways do you think your skills and experience coincide with Clearwater’s mission? What do you see as major challenges and rewards of being Clearwater’s Camp Director?
- We will review your resume and letter and respond to you as quickly as possible.
If you have questions, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Clearwater Search Team
Kitty Bartholomew, Maddie Brown, Kaitlin Close, Steph Cotherman, Nonnie Gilbert, Julie LaFore, Janice Marquardt, Nancy Neumann, Heidi Pace, Molly Palmer, Sarah Sexton, Adrienne Testa, Carol Vance